Monday, November 5, 2012

Vintage Door Headboard



My inspiration: Marshall and Lilly's Headboard in "How I Met Your Mother"

 I have been OBSESSED with this headboard since the minute that I saw it on HIMYM and have been looking for one like it ever since. Jordan and I thought we found one on Etsy.com a few months ago but because of location and finances, decided to make our own :)

The Process:
We found an old wooden door at the ReStore Store (a store that gives all proceeds to Habitat for Humanity).
I found a paint that matched our bedding and room colors at the local hardware store.
We painted both sides of the door (I have the best hubby ever to help me with this project!!)

Coat number 1. We could have stopped here and went with the "unfinished look" but we decided to add a 2nd coat.
Next we screwed the door into the walls. We made sure that we screwed it into the studs.
The door is longer than the bed but I kind of like the uneven look to it.
 Finished Product:

We were able to get it up just in time for our families to visit thanks to Jordan's parents who helped us mount it on the wall. I am so excited about how well it turned out!!


 I might add some crown molding to the top to add a bit of texture but for now I like it kind of plain. 

Enjoy!!

Next project: tackling my sewing machine... wish me luck!







1 comment:

  1. I missed this post back in November, and love it. IT turned out awesome. Great work you two!!!

    ReplyDelete